Photo credits: re:publica/Gregor Fischer
Science & Education
How do digital technologies change the way we learn, teach, research and share knowledge? How are scientific fields and research topics evolving? In this category, we would like to hear from education professionals, scientists, researchers, academics and students - from established institutions to citizen science initiatives. In particular, we’re looking forward to sessions presenting current research findings, reflections on educational and scientific methodologies, as well as technology reviews. We are interested in open science, open research, open labs, and open publishing, experiences in using digital devices in educational contexts, as well as biotech, nanotechnology and astrophysics.
- Science & Education-3D printing has changed the way people conduct create and businesses. It is now so easy for companies and individuals to create any idea of theirs into a real action figure without the need to shell out loads of money. With the help of 3D model or Cad software, you can design 3D printing products yourself and send them for printing on your 3D printer.
- Science & Education-The emerging market in Augmented Reality presents an opportunity for creative entrepreneurs to create new solutions/business and existing businesses to tap into increased efficiency and revenue, to disrupt and impact sectors and industries from marketing, e-commerce, education, entertainment, health among others.
- Science & Education-The Internet of Things (IoT) workshop is meant for participants eager to learn and build IoT project from a basic level. In this workshop we will cover basics of IoT concepts and applications and have a look at a live demo of a smart home system built by IoT Network Hub.
- Science & Education-Bridging the tech-divide by re:connecting makers, educators and developers from prime cities and peripheral hubs. The session sheds light on the misconception of center and periphery by collaborating across the country. Two teams produce a functioning machine in two different locations collaboratively, showcasing a case demonstration for co-creation and distributed manufacturing.
- Science & Education-Using 3D printing innovation, we will hack and build simple low-cost DIY open science lab equipment.
- Science & Education-As a young woman interested in taking up a career in technology, how do you set yourself apart? What’s that eXtra vibe that's going to make you outstanding? Join us during the Xtra Ladies (XL) Career Portfolio workshop to learn how you can build your personal brand and successfully take up a career in technology.
- Science & Education-Maps are power. In order to make meaningful and policy driven maps you need good data. Good and accessible geospatial data is hard to come by in Africa. Worse, the rare maps that are likely to feed are mostly outdated ! OpenStreetMap is a global community and geodatabase made by volunteers which can be used for several purposes.
- Science & Education-Air pollution is a growing health issue implicated in 7 million global deaths and health conditions. In Ghana 17000 annual deaths have been reported. Air quality monitoring in Ghana covers limited geographical and temporal ranges, meaning human lives may be at risk.
The goal of this workshop is to demonstrate using low cost monitors to measure key pollutants over LoRaWAN to The Things Network, making data available to the public.
- Science & Education-The E-Waste Lounge & Bar made with furniture and objects upcycled from E-Waste and a live jewelry creation from smelters and blacksmiths from Agbogbloshie will illustrate the craftsmanship and creativity of the scrap yard that is often overlooked. The lounge and bar will invite the participants to experience the potential from e-waste in a different way.
- Science & Education-STEAM education, research and innovation are important in propelling Africa’s development. The session outlines key challenges in STEAM education on the continent, and proposes integration of open science into educational curricula as a key solution. Drawing on evidence mainly from ongoing STEAM and open science initiatives, recommendations on how open science tools, including the internet, and methodologies can be implemented to boost education, research, and innovation in Africa are proposed.
- Science & Education-The #ASKotec is a kit designed to work as a mobile trainers set to tackle basic field challenges when it comes to Open Tech and Open Source Hardware innovation, education and repairing wherever needed. Providing »Access to Skills and Knowledge« the multi-functional »Open Tech Emergency Case« gives rural and urban innovators new possibilites - from basic tools and materials to product development as well as up-cycling old materials to new #open innovations...anywhere.